Safe Bars: Training service industry staff to stand up to sexual violence.
We are a collective of hospitality workers and sexual violence prevention professionals aiming to address sexual the issue of assault/harassment originating in places that serve alcohol. Our goal is to increase safe(r) nightlife experiences for folks in the greater Richmond region.
About half of all sexual assaults involve alcohol. Unwanted sexual attention, including verbal harassment and touching, occurs frequently in bars, restaurants, and clubs. We know that alcohol doesn’t cause sexual assault, but it’s used as a weapon to incapacitate targets and as camouflage to excuse aggressor behavior. Bars, restaurants, clubs, and breweries also have some of the highest rates of workplace sexual harassment of any industry in the U.S., harming workers and their workplaces alike.
Our 2.5 hour, interactive trainings are offered free of charge. Our curriculum focuses on two main areas– recognizing unwanted sexual aggression and targeting; and responding to it. We cover the scope and causes of sexual aggression, and then use an active bystander intervention framework to empower staff to step in when they suspect inappropriate behavior. We present multiple methods of intervention so that staff can tailor their responses to their own comfort levels and identities.
- Kailie Smith, Founder; Director of Outreach, Education, and Community Engagement, Safe Harbor
- Kat Adams, Advocate, VCU-Project Empower
- Reed Bohn, Project Empower Manager, VCU-Project Empower
- Lisa D’Allesio, Bartender
- Beth Dixon, Owner, Salt & Acid
- Cody Dunavan, Bartender
- Kimberly Embe-Mamong, Counselor and Advocate, VCU-Project Empower
- Gabby Hutchinson, Advocate, VCU-Project Empower
- Brooke Graham, ECommerce Manager, The Veil Brewing Company
- Sophia Kim, Bartender
- Joey McClain, Bartender, Kismet
- Tameika McCoy, Advocate Coordinator, VCU Counseling Services
- Sam Mickey, Violence Prevention Specialist, YWCA
- Katherine Moore, Volunteer and Administrative Manager, Safe Harbor
- Brandon Peck, Beverage Director, The Jasper
- Robin Sawyer, Violence Prevention Specialist, YWCA
- Lindsey Scheer, Venue Manager, Broadberry Entertainment Group
- Liz Timmons, Senior Sexual and Domestic Violence Therapist, Safe Harbor
- Kaylin Tingle, Healthy Relationships & Violence Prevention Educator, University of Richmond
- Tyler Wallace, Outreach and Prevention Coordinator, Safe Harbor; Bartender, The Cask Cafe
Donate to Safe Bars RVA to help us cover travel costs, train new members, and offer scholarships for your favorite bar, venue, or brewery!
Kailie Smith, Founder
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 804-249-9470 ext. 120