In the 15 years since Safe Harbor was founded, our goals have been two-fold: to transform the lives of those impacted by sexual assault and domestic violence, and to transform public perception of these issues. We are proud of our work. It is a privilege to be a voice for those who often remain silent.
Along the way many have stepped up to help make our mission a reality. For that, we are sincerely thankful. In the past year alone, we’ve touched the lives of more than a thousand women, men and children in need of help.
Some of our achievements in 2015:
- Housing 67 clients in safe and transitional housing; providing court advocacy to 543 adults, and counseling 709 children and adults.
- Counseling college students who experienced sexual violence, whether on campus or earlier in their lives; and ensuring that, by the session’s end, each participant had identified someone she could turn to for continued support.
- Extending our services into the East End of Henrico County and basing a part-time counselor at Housing Families First on Nine Mile Road, fulfilling one of our long-time goals.
- Expanding services for male survivors of sexual assault, including safe-house shelter, educational services and job counseling while living in a supportive community.
- Counseling incarcerated women identified as survivors of sexual assault. Aimed at breaking the cycle of incarceration, this program is a partnership with the Henrico Sheriff’s Office, Commonwealth Attorney’s office and Victim/Witness Program.
Each of our clients is treated with respect by a dedicated, compassionate advocate in a warm, caring environment. This is a precious and priceless gift.
Please consider providing a year-end gift to support our vital work. Your contribution will enable us to continue providing free and confidential support services to those victims of domestic violence who need it most.
Wishing you a joyous holiday season and a healthy and happy 2016!
Mary Catharine Ginn Kolbert, President
Cathy Easter, Executive Director